WHAT CAN JOSEPH DOBRIAN DO FOR YOU?
• You need a writer or editor you can count on, to deliver a quality product—on time, to length, and within budget—every time. Call Joseph Dobrian.
• You have a book in you, but aren’t sure you can write it. You’ve been invited to give a speech or publish an article. You’re building or revising your Website. Whatever your story is, Joseph Dobrian will help you tell it.
• You’re the editor of a consumer or trade publication. You need a dependable contributor who researches completely and reports accurately, in a lively voice. That’s Joseph Dobrian.
• You’re a public relations or marketing specialist, overwhelmed by demanding clients. Let Joseph Dobrian help you with the worst ones. He’s good at working with difficult people and keeping them off your back.
• Joseph Dobrian gives you peace of mind. He never promises what he can’t perform. He never pretends knowledge he doesn’t have. He’s careful and reliable—and fast. Tell him what you want and when you want it. That’s how you’ll have it.
Nearly 30 Years As A Versatile Freelance Writer/Editor
My work includes promotional, journalistic, and service writing on personal and commercial finance, luxury goods, organizational management, real estate, security, disaster recovery, civic improvements, community planning, sports, travel, meetings, and fashion. I also ghostwrite articles, books, newsletters, and speeches. I guarantee:
• Accuracy; attention to detail; organization: consistency in style and format; continuity; precision with numbers.
• Speed and efficiency: scrupulous attention to deadlines, with no loss of accuracy.
• Exceptionally broad general knowledge: quick grasp of new information and the ability to transform data into highly readable, clear, concise text.
• Diplomacy and integrity: effective communication skills and respect for confidentiality.
• Your peace of mind. Need something done yesterday? I'll have it to you yesterday. Bank on it.
Freelance Consultant — May 1986-Present Most recent clients and projects include:
• The Wall Street Journal: special advertising sections on real estate, travel, and environmentally responsible development.
• J.D. Power & Associates: edited some thousands of technical articles, mainly on automotive subjects; wrote a series of articles on personal finance.
• American Management Association: a series of articles on various management and HR-related topics.
• The New York Times: special section on disaster recovery and crisis management for the financial sector and for corporate real estate owners and managers.
• Real Estate Forum: articles on commercial real estate, including design and construction, finance, security, the CMBS market and analysis of other investors including REITs, opportunity funds, conduits, etc., as well as profiles of leading real estate companies. Single-handedly wrote special sections on the country's largest debt and equity capital providers.
• J. Walter Thompson: nationwide print ad campaign for ladies' diamond rings.
• Economist Intelligence Unit (a sister publication of The Economist): articles on corporate real estate, terrorism insurance, information sharing, and security.
• National Jeweler: annual reports, retailer profiles, trend stories.
• The Meeting Professional: travel pieces and how-to articles for the meetings industry.
• Urban Land: articles on planned mixed-use communities.
• Worldco: business plan for Worldco LLC, a Wall Street-based day-trading firm.
• TIAA-CREF: advisory/instructional articles on personal finance for investor newsletters.
Gralla Publications — 1983-86
Senior Editor; Editor in Chief (1985-86
• Catalog Showroom Business: Supervised writing, editing, and production
Associate Editor ; Assistant Editor, Contributing Editor —
• Health Care Systems, Bank Systems & Equipment, Contract, Kitchen & Bath Business.
Ring Publishing Co. — 1983-89
• The Ring. Developed, researched, and wrote articles on boxing. Represented the magazine at championship bouts and on TV and radio. Gave presentations at association meetings.
"For many years, Joseph Dobrian has been one of National Jeweler's go-to writers for a range of stories from basic profiles of retailers to more complex stories involving legal issues/crime, or technical aspects of the business. In fact, one of Joseph's how-to pieces on store security won National Jeweler an American Society of Business Publication Editors award in 2006. A reliable and professional journalist, Joseph is someone you can rely on for thorough and accurate reporting that comes in on-or before-deadline. "
— Teresa Novellino, Executive Editor, National Jeweler Magazine, New York City
"The Meeting Professionals International publications department has worked with Joseph Dobrian over the course of more than 10 years. He's a tireless researcher and an exceptionally clear writer. He's covered most aspects of the meeting and event industry, including disaster recovery, planning a golf event, and international logistics. He's been the lead for complete special projects, as well as individual features, and he always comes through with a first-rate product."
— Michael Pinchera, Associate Editor, Meeting Professionals International, Dallas
"I have worked with Joseph Dobrian many times, and have always found him to be professional, reliable, conscientious, and a stickler for deadlines. But more importantly, he is a very talented writer, able to capture the truth and the essence of the story, and present it in a way that is accessible and interesting to the reader."
— Lisa Kelly, Principal, Kelly Dolan Associates, Hardwick, N.J.
"Joseph Dobrian began writing for NYinc magazine, which I edit, in the spring of 2009, and immediately became a trusted and regular contributor to that publication as well as New Jersey & Company magazine, which I also edit. Joe is everything I seek in a freelancer: a terrific, well organized writer with a sure voice and subtle wit, who is always reliable and dependable, and is quite tenacious about pursuing story ideas and chasing hard-to-find stats and sources. He's always very pleasant and professional. He's also very versatile and can write equally well on any number of subjects, including business, law, finance, real estate, environmental issues, and personalities. I am very glad to have him in my stable of writers."
— Susan Piperato, Editorial Director, ScheinMedia, Kingston, N.Y.
"Joseph Dobrian is the consummate professional. He is one of the most versatile and skilled writers I know. Mr. Dobrian always does his homework; he learns the nuances of any subject and provides the most informative and beautifully written content long before deadline. Most importantly, he is a gentleman and a joy to work with. Whenever I see his byline, whether it's in The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, or a real estate trade publication, I know the article will be right on target, informative, and a pleasure to read."
— Linda Alexander, Principal, Alexander Marketing, New York City
"Joseph is the guy I call when I need something done yesterday. He's fast, he's thorough, and he listens to his clients. If I give him a project, it's one less worry for me, because I know he'll deliver. I recently recommended him to help a friend with his memoirs, and they're in the final stages of what will be a very good book."
— David M. Grant, President, LVM Group, New York City
"Joseph did a great job for us. He asked the right questions. He grasped new and technically difficult information quickly and he was able to transform it into communications that worked. He's effective and reliable. We will certainly call Joseph the next time we need to develop new marketing communications."
— Ron Moore, CEO, Marketing Technologies Group, New York City
"I have had nothing but an outstanding public relations relationship with Joseph Dobrian for over a decade. We have worked together countless times on stories he was assigned to write for both trade and consumer publications. He's completely professional, and extremely knowledgeable about both the commercial and residential real estate industries. He's equally skilled at writing about a plethora of other subjects. Clients he has interviewed have always been pleased with the results, i.e. his quotes are always accurate and often he fact-checks to ensure the copy reflects whatever the source actually said. I have arranged for him to ghostwrite by-lined articles for many of my clients during my real estate career, and all have said he's a pleasure to work with. He's a talented wordsmith, who totally understands deadlines and works well under pressure. I highly recommend Joseph as an excellent professional writer."
— Melanie Keenan, Senior Vice President, Rubenstein Associates, New York City
"Joseph is versatile author who writes with ease on any number of subjects-including music, art, politics, business, health, education, technology, and science. He excels at explaining complex technical subjects in terms that non-experts can understand. He has worked with our company on numerous writing projects, and he always does a great job, on time, and on budget. He is a consummate professional, and never forgets that he is representing his client to the public. "
— Dr. Teresa Piliouras, CEO, Albright Associates, Weston, Conn.
Joseph Dobrian has a long list of companies and publications for which he’s written, over his 29-year career: too long to list in full. Here are some he’s worked with in the past 10 years.
Food & Wine
New York Living
New York Magazine
The New York Times
The New Yorker
Travel + Leisure
The Wall Street Journal
Apartment Finance Today
Commercial Christmas Décor
Meetings & Conventions
The Meeting Professional
New Jersey & Company
Real Estate Forum
Real Estate New York
Selling Christmas Decorations
American Management Association
Corporate Relocation, Inc.
Ernst & Young
Fort Worth, Tex. Convention & Visitors Bureau
J.D. Power & Associates
Kelly Dolan Associates
Marketing Technologies Group
Newmark Knight Frank
New York Software Industry Association
Quinn & Co.
Robert K. Futterman and Associates
W. P. Carey